Monday, January 3, 2011

Small Steps!

I'm thrilled to be starting off 2011 with a renewed dedication to a passion that I have had for many years, but only in the last year actually started devoting my time and resources to - sewing. Ever since I was "yea" high (which doesn't say alot, considering that I'm only 5'2"!) I have been completely enthralled with fashion. I recall ordering and perusing fashion magazines just to look at the ads. I recall requesting catalogs from places like Banana Republic (and this was back when they were REALLY known for safari-like clothing - hence the name) and North Beach Leather (are they still around?) just to browse the pages and fantasize of the day when I would have the money to fund my dream wardrobe! It was then that I also started sketching on paper and pondering my dream career - to be a fashion designer. Reality set in after high school graduation and I ended up opting out of the dream in order to get a "real" degree. I spent the next 15 years using that degree, but the little voice in the back of my head would not let me forget about my dream. One day, about a year ago, I decided to stop dreaming and start working on making it a reality. I purchased a commercial sewing machine and serger and started taking classes when and where I could. And I FINALLY started SEWING! A year into this, I can definitely tell you that I'm no master tailor, but I know a whole lot more now than I did when I started! Thus, the title of this first post - Small Steps.

My goal in this blog is to share my sewing ups and downs with you as I go from beginner to expert couturier. On a more selfish level, I hope that it will serve as a reminder to myself that any big accomplishment has to be approached on a step-by-step basis. I'm hoping that my diary will clearly show the progression in my skill and, more importantly, my confidence! Thank you for taking this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment